loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Friday, June 30, 2023

Talk about a flashback!!

The fourth of July is fast approaching and holiday traffic is expected to set a new record, again.  Some little chickadee was telling me this during a segment on the morning news, so I know it is true.  Her segment  was on traffic and how it will set new records.  New records also means more accidents due to distracted driving.  She gave me a few pointers on how to make sure I am safe when riding as a passenger.  I am still in wonder at her nativity!

When I am riding as a passenger and I notice the driver fumbling with his/her phone I should simply take it from his/her hand and say, "Here, let me make that call for you."  Anything that is distracting the driver should be taken care of by me.  Alrighty then!  Now I know.

My mind flashed back to my younger years as a young bride and later as a young mother, married to a man whose sole purpose in live was to remain in a degree of "plastered' in one degree or another.  Had I shown the audacity to question either his sobriety or ability to operate a vehicle in any shape was sure to meet with resistance of one form or another.  He was the man of the house and it was his responsibility to get the vehicle and the passengers in that vehicle from point A to point B.  Far beit  my right to question his ability.  

Getting there was only half the battle as the reason for trips on the 4th of July was to blow up a weeks salary in a 15 minute frenzy.  That and drinking several cases of beer and then playing poker with his brothers and brother in law.  That was guaranteed to end in a fist fight.  It was my job to take care of the kids.  Since I did not drink, the 4th of July, like many other holidays was always something I looked forward to with a sense of dread, but so be it.

Looking back, in retrospect, those were the good old days.  At least the kids remembered them as such and later in life, after the divorce, the kids always went to Daddy's for the holiday.  He built a club house on 20 acres of land in Western Kansas and every holiday was cause for a party!  The kids grew up knowing Daddy always had a party going on and that was good.

So there you have it.  I hate the fireworks on the 4th, but it is what it is.  I am rather a prude about most things like that, but that is just me.  You all have a happy and safe 4th of July and keep the powder dry!

Peace!

No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...