loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Skaets Steak Shop, Hutchinson, Kansas and Tom devouring the Moon Burger!

No trip back east is ever complete without a stop at Skaet's Steak Shop.  It is a family tradition for many people and especially for me!  When I was 17 years old, I decided to strike out on my own since I was almost an adult.  This entailed a job and I lucked into a very good job.  Now I look back and think perhaps it was not the brilliant future I first thought it to be, but at that time, washing dishes at Skaet's Steak Shop was my pinnacle to success!  I will not go into all the history of this place at this time only tell you that at that time it was owned by Norman Duschene and his wife.

Skaet's Steak Shop is located on the front entrance to the Kansas State Fair grounds in Hutchinson, Kansas at 23rd and Main.  This is not the original store front.  When I worked there the windows were from ceiling to floor and you could literally freeze to death waiting for your food.  That is a lie!  But you could really feel the cold.  Over the years it has been remodeled by various owners until it stands as you see it today.  It is currently owned by Karen Leshure and Donna Bartholomew, and therein lies my story.  You see, Donna is my sister!  Yes, I was originally Louella Bartholomew.  Ah, now there is also another story.  But I digress.  This is about Skaet's Steak Shop and the conception of The Moon Burger!

Enter in the front door of Skaet's Steak Shop and you are greeted by the sight of the counter and the grill.  All the food is cooked right in front of the customers, which has always been a draw.  No wondering what goes on here that you don't see because you see it all.  Karen is a stickler for cleanliness and the crew does their best to please her.

Now see that guy right there in the shirt that says "Tan Naked"?  In all fairness I did not notice him until just this moment.  He does have a very good idea there, although I am a pansy little white girl and was taught early in life to keep my clothes on unless in the act of procreating, which I have done very prolifically and there I digress again!  What I am trying to tell you is to look at the back splash on that grill!  Man could shave in that!

Now here is what we came to see!  Many years ago, when man first walked on the moon, it was decided that it should be commemorated some how by Skaet's.  Thus was born the mighty Moon Burger!  The Moon Burger is now a tradition in Hutchinson, Kansas at the Steak Shop.  They are known for good lean meat in their hamburgers and this is no exception.  First comes the lightly toasted bun, then the lean hamburger patty, a slice of premium cheese, then not one, but 2 slices of crisp bacon, followed by lettuce, onion, tomato and pickles, and the final generous dollop of mayonnaise.  Perfection in a bun!  The plate is then garnished with an overly generous serving of french fries or hash browns, your choice.


The Moon Burger is such a tradition that when my brother in law, Tommy Shea passed  (God only remembers how many years ago.) the entourage to the cemetery had to stop in front of Skaet's Steak Shop for a moment of silence.  And you know what?  I think I actually heard Tommy sigh!


Now, see that guy eating that Moon Burger or rather, wanting to eat that Moon Burger?  Notice the strong jaw line as he poses with the burger right there, ready to be devoured.  Notice the glint in his eye as he is determined not to bite until Aunt Lou says it is alright.  What a fine picture or restraint! 

That is my nephew, Tom Bartholomew.  He is Donna Bartholomew's only son.  His wife, Alina, is over on my left holding the new 3 day old baby who is Donna's only grand daughter.  Again, I digress.  What I want to tell you is I took many pictures of this Moon Burger on it's way to Tommy's mouth so I could show it to my son, who was heart broken that I did not bring him back a Moon Burger!  See, you can get Bacon Cheeseburgers all over the country, but only at Skaet's Steak Shop can you partake of the Moon Burger.

If you ever get down in the vicinity of Hutchinson, Kansas, be sure to stop in and see Karen and Donna. Tell them Lou sent you and I am sure someone will actually acknowledge that they know me or at least heard of me at some time or another.  I make it down a couple times a year.  Maybe I could meet up with you there!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not the type to eat breakfast in the morning but now looking and reading and seeing that fine looking moon burger got me hungrey. I wonder if they deliver? From Kansas to Florida.Sure would be nice, MMM sounds so good

Unknown said...

I grew up in and around Hutchinson, but moved to another state before high school. Almost 30 years later, I've moved back to Kansas, and I almost couldn't wait to have a Moon Burger. As juicy and tasty as I remember as a kid. Oh, and I just HAD to have the spicy ketchup with my fries! My birthday is coming up soon, and I think I'll request the family all go eat at Skaet's.

Lou Mercer said...

I just emailed my sister who owns Skaets and told her to answer your comment. I started working at Skaets for Norman Deschene when I was 17 years old. I married and moved away and when I got divorced I moved home and worked at Skaets for Al and Ruth Herrington. I occasionally help Donna and Karen, but not very often because I live out here in Colorado now. How did you stumble across this, may I ask?

Anonymous said...

What a delightful combo of nostalgia, community spirit and restaurant review, nicely wrapped up to go in these heartwarming reflections. Thank you for sharing your wit and wisdom. Makes for quite a compelling recommendation and I just may have to do some travelling soon. I think Karen and Donna ought to give you free Moon burgers every time you visit! That Tom is a handsome guy, isn’t he? Imagine he has one rightfully proud Mama!

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...