loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Monday, November 13, 2023

The hidden lessons from Momma

 I was just watching something on the early morning show about sharing.  Sharing is good and makes you feel good, but I already knew that.  I remember when I was but a wee tot and momma would occasionally bring home something she received from one of the ladies at the end of her day.  Maybe a few cookies, or a small amount of candy.  It was meant for momma as a little treat, but she always brought it home to share with her kids.  Usually it was a few store bought cookies, but it was always a treat for us!  Momma would hand me a cookie and say "Share this with Mary or Dorothy, or Donna.  And she always stood there as the cookie was broken in half.  I measured carefully and then handed the chosen sister the biggest half.  

It was an engraved in stone rule that the one breaking the cookie took the smallest half.  This taught us many things.  
#1  Always try to break it carefully.

#2  By giving the biggest half to the sister we were showing generosity.

 #3 We were not greedy. 

#4  We learned sharing and humility.

One day I had to go to cousin Paralee's house after school.  Momma was cleaning Paralee's house that day.  Paralee knew it was my birthday so she had planned a small party for me.  Suffice it to say that in my younger years it was the only time my birthday was observed.  I received only one gift, but I treasured it for years.  It was a red cookie cutter in the form of Cinderella.  Needless to say I never used it, but treasured it nonetheless.

Momma has been gone for many years, but she is always right there on my shoulder.  I hear her many times a day and try as I might, I can never forget the lessons I learned at her knee.  If I taught my kids anything, I would hope it is this:  "That small voice in your head that is telling you to share, to be kind,  to be helpful and understanding to others, to respect your elders, never lie and always talk to God, is probably my mother talking to you!"

Maybe someday one of my kids will be writing this blog and remembering me as a wise, caring, honest person.  I can only hope!

Peace!

No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...