loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 30, 2010

The sister, the Royal Gorge, and the bag of shirts.

Well, as is want to happen in my life, sometimes I had the pleasure of entertaining my sister, Donna and her friends, Karen and Alice. They were on vacation! The word vacation usually strikes fear in my heart, but this time I handled it well.  Probably because it did not entail my driving 400-600 miles one way to visit and then drive right back home.
And so they arrived. Plans were made to the Royal Gorge just outside of Canon City on the following day. And so we did. It was a lovely day to do that!  Donna and I took the incline to the bottom of the Royal Gorge. It was maybe a 10 minute ride down, but it seems a lot longer when I have to actually worry about whether anyone checked the cables to see if they were frayed, oiled or greased all the moving parts, checked that the locks were working properly on the doors.  I don't know who died and left me in charge of controlling the world, but I strongly suspect it was my mother!
It was indeed a beautiful, panoramic view. At the bottom we got to see the rapids very close.  I had to worry about Donna falling in and drowning. She fared well.  Back up and then the quest to find the other 2 members of the party. Karen was easy, but Alice was lost. After contacting the Rangers and starting the hunt, we happened to spot her standing outside the entrance gate waving. Alice, get in here!
One more thing to do. Walk to the center of the bridge to take our pictures by the Kansas Flag. Let's see, drive 400 miles to get your picture taken by the flag of the state you drove 400 miles to leave. OK! Got it!  After a flurry of picture taking we were looking down and trying to figure if we wanted to bungee jump or not when here came the ranger again. He stopped by us and pointed at a bag on the other side of the bridge. I quickly spotted our tee shirt bag and sprinted over to get it. He said "Glad that is yours! I thought we were going to have to vacate the whole area. Al Quaida, you know"
That was it for the day. We arrived home very tired little puppies, and I decided it was great fun to go on vaction, if I did not actually have to go anywhere!

No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...