loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Friday, July 2, 2010

Eye level with a very angry mother goose!

Look at this helpless goose. This is my mother Emiden and she has just given birth to 2 babies. Now, I know you know, that what she actually did was lay a couple eggs about 28 or 29 days ago and then set very patiently on them until they gave birth to themselves.

Here is an overhead view of the same two little goslings. Mother is tending to them and I have just returned from the feed store where I purchased 50 pounds of chick starter. Doubt that they will ever eat that much, but that is how they sell it. This is a very tranquil picture, don't you think? Just hang on there for one minute while I upload another picture for you to feast your eyes upon.



Now look at this!! This is what this looks like up close!! I do not know if you can see them or not, but she is baring her teeth at me!! Now, a guy in Canada (Hats off to the Canadian!! And thanks, Fanty!) did tell me that those are not teeth, but rather serrated edges that are meant for shredding grass and such. I do not remember off the top of my head what he called them, but it did start with an I as I recall. No matter!! They look like teeth and anything that looks like teeth and is in a mouth that is hissing at me even if it is a beak has got my attention! The only thing saving me from a very severe pinching and a go at the serrated things is that little piece of fencing there. Want to come to my house and play grab the gosling with this mother? I thought not.
So, just thought you might like to see the peril I face every day here on the farm. Ever hear the saying "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned?" Well, we should replace that with "Hell hath no fury like a mother goose protecting her young!!" Perhaps a few of the human population could take a lesson from Mother Goose, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i tell you one thing id rather not play with geese especially the mamma, Hate to say it but i'm not monther nature and i dont fool with her

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...