loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Nuclear Power Plant or not?

I will not try to explain the use of Nuclear Power.     Neither will I try to defend either position.  Mine is more of a "what if" piece, which is what I do best.  You have all seen the images out of Japan.  This is modern technology at it's best and the worst.  Images are the best, while what the images show is at it's worst. 

I understand that Nuclear power at it's best is probably a boon to mankind.  I really don't know.  It will bring all these jobs and yada, yada.  The land of milk and honey and all that.  The thing I want to know, and bear in mind that I am a full fledged, recycling, semi vegetarian, environment loving, tree hugging fool, is what happened to the wind farms?  We build the things for the wind farms right behind my house.  The are green, clean, and quiet.  We have more sunshine than half the world making this a mecca for solar power.

Right now they are telling of the 50 men in Japan who are trying to prevent a meltdown of the Nuclear Power Plant there.  They are telling about how high the radiation levels are.  And listen to this.....they actually think this may slow down the expansion of Nuclear Reactors in this country.  Well, duh!  Ram a fork in my  eye over that one.  Oh, good, the radiation cloud is being blown out over the Pacific!  That is a rather out of sight out of mind statement if I ever heard one!  Jerk the fork out of that eye and ram it in the other one!  Now, my problems are all over because I am completely blind!  Hell, I ought to run for Congress!

Oh, yeah, I lied up there!  I do not care how safe it is, I do not want this in my back yard!  Hell, I don't want this in any one's back yard!  We are the Garden of Eden as a renewable energy source so why would I want anyone to put a time bomb in my world and haul Uranium in to feed it and hope nothing goes wrong?  Crap, I still remember what a simple "o" ring did to a shuttle full of people.  Oops!  Acceptable levels of radiation do not exist in my world!  I rank that right up there "safer statin" drugs. 

Some time back they widened the highway East of town.  Made it with passing lanes and all.  That was great, but I could not help but wonder why turning lanes were built to turn into field's where there were no roads.  Just my inquisitive mind?  I think not.  The powers who are closer to the inner circle than I am have answers I want.  Will I get them?  Sure!  All I have to do is look at the map of where this proposed plant will be built!  There it is!  The green square in that same field. 

  My job is to set here and look stupid.  I have a receiver in my bedroom in case something goes wrong out at the PDA where they are burning the chemical stuff left over from when they stored this stuff years ago.  So will I be at the Arts Center tonight at  5:00 P M? Is a pig made out of pork? Is the Pope Catholic? That would be a yes.



Spring is here!  Green things are popping up all over.  A time for rebirth.  A time to build a Nuclear Reactor next to my house?  I think not! 

I just figured this out.  The boy just came up to go to the shower.  He refuses to go with me tonight.  Nuclear Power is perfect and it is perfectly safe.  So was the Challenger.  I point out that in my short life I have been witness to Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, so many I can see in my minds eye, but not recall the year or name, and 50 men basically committing slow suicide in Japan.  He rolls his eyes and explains it saves fossil fuel!  We have lost the younger generation to video games and technology that I do not understand.  So tonight at the Sangre de Cristo Arts and Conference Center, I will be there with my old cronies. 

 Will my voice be heard?  One way or another.  There was a time when I had dirt on the County Commissioners and was sure at least two of them would listen, but I have become complacent and not kept up on that.  Bad Lou.  In this fast moving world we all need to remain vigilant cause if we don't we are going to find ourselves living in a world where 7 toes and boils on our faces and hair all gone is normal.  I myself like the world here from my deck.  Animals, birds, Llama's next door, clouds floating by with out a hint of radiation anywhere.  I can have my coffee knowing my water contains acceptable levels of arsenic, nitrates, nitrites, selenium and that the squirrel that fell in the river upstream has been purified. 

God is good.  Let's help him out a bit here!

*S*
Added note here.  Boy just came out of the shower, smiled and said, "Maybe."  I have hope for him because he is the same one that marched with me for Gay Rights, walked in the AIDS Walks for years, and attended the candle light services on World AIDS Day. 

No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...