loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Friday, May 15, 2020

The miracles of modern medicine!

It used to be a cataract was a big deal, but thanks to modern medicine, that is no longer the case.  I recall when I was in grade school a cataract was spoken of in hushed tones as if the person who had developed a cataract suddenly had enhanced hearing and would know we were discussing "it".  And when a cataract was removed it meant days in the hospital and then added care at home.  No bending, no lifting, special diet and on and on.  Last Wednesday, I had my second cataract removed.  The hardest part was the Coronavirus limiting access and the 6 foot social distancing rule.

So, my friend picked me up, delivered me to the Rocky Mountain Eye Hospital for eye surgery.  He dropped me at the door and in due time I was taken to the back, prepped and given an IV to relax me.  The first time I had an operation of this sort I slept through it, but this time was different.  I visited with Dr. Schlomer as told me every move he was making.  I saw all the debris he was removing and it was very bright colors.  Actually, there were funny shapes and bright colors.  I felt absolutely nothing.  I think the actual removal took about 2 minutes.  He then taped a shield over my eye and it was done.  I was home well before noon.

My ride was waiting at the front door and had been considerate enough to bring me a banana since he knew I had not eaten today.  He drove me straight home, and I went inside so my son could go to work.  He was at work before noon.

My first afternoon was spent dabbing at my eye which was running much like a leaky faucet.  The only things I needed to actually do, was use my eye drops, do not bend or lift for 24 hours and wear my dark glasses outside.  Today begins the third day after surgery and I am good as new!  My new eye is clear and I can actually see better with it then the other eye.  So....

Forget all the horror stories you hear about cataract surgery and if you are contemplating it I advise you to go for it.  Now, I am sure that any doctor who is an ophthalmologist is well versed on the fine art of cataract removal, but I am just partial to Dr. Schlomer.

So, I am going to take my leave of this and see if little Jiraiya is about ready to crawl out of bed.  Going to be a long day!

No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...