loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Here are the Apricot blooms I was telling you about!

Here you see the blooms on the Apricot tree.  I know some of you will think that means Spring is here and Winter is over, but I am sorry to say you may be mistaken. It has been my experience that here in Pueblo we only get a fruit crop about once every 7 years.  I can still remember getting Apricots off this tree and I can't remember things that happened seven years ago, so I am pretty sure the freezing stuff is not over.

But I do want to tell you where this tree came from. About 20 years ago we were working on a BLM (Bureau of Land Management) job in Paonia, Colorado.  That is over on the Western Slope where all the fruit comes from. The land is mostly for grazing cattle and recreation and such so it is mostly public land. On the public land grows all kinds of trees to include Apricot, Peach, Choke Cherry, Apple, and one called Sarviss Berry which is a lot like a Blueberry.  Anyway my dear husband picked a bread bag full of Apricots for me.  I made them into Apricot Jam and threw the pits out by the septic tank. Next Spring I had many Apricot Seedlings.  I planted 14 over at my mother-in-law's and planted 3 here. Still have them.

The Apricots are the first fruit trees to bloom in the Spring.  Also usually the first ones to get frosted, too.  Ok, that is the story for the day. Putting my tired old body to bed.

No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...