loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Friday, July 16, 2010

The human side of the Cuban Caravan, my new best friends!

Here is the first person off the bus!! It is Kathryn Hall-Trujillo from Albuquerque, New Mexico.  She had already called me on her cell phone when they left Colorado Springs, so I knew she was there. She is a happy little thing and was just a plethora  of information on the Cuban Five as well as the Medical School down there.  Apparently if you want an education there, it is free.


The next one off the bus was Gary Erb.  I understand that this is not Gary's first rodeo!  It takes dedicated people like these 2 here to make any project a success.  As I write, the bus is wending it's way toward
 Dallas, Texas.
Ok, now you see me and my 2 new best friends.  We are setting at the picnic table at Christ Congregational Church in Belmont, discussing very important  things, like where is the best place to get coffee and where is the best place to get coffee if you have a really long bus you need to park to get the said coffee.  I was all for skipping the whole idea cause I have coffee at home, but David Bemis was all for Solar Roast because it is maybe the best coffee in the whole world.  Just maybe.

So here we set.  Know that the bus will pick up more passengers along the way and  more cargo will be added.. After it leaves Dallas it will go to Austin, Texas.  It will arrive in McAllen, Texas on Sunday.  The plan is to cross the border on the July 21.  From there it is a little shadowy as to what happens and where.  I do know the bus will be loaded on a Freight Ship at Tampico and will be headed for Cuba.  The human cargo on the bus will fly via a charter flight to Cuba.

Upon arrival they will be whisked to the graduation ceremony.  What they will eat and where remains a mystery to me.  I am sure they will not starve and somebody will let them sleep somewhere.  If I get any more info I will be for giving you an update.  I trust Kris Allen will keep me posted as her friend Scott barrels for the border in his big yellow school bus.

Run for the Border, Scott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

some special people makes the world a better place. need more people in this world just like you all caring loving and dedicated, Just pray that they do get food and a place to stay. thanks was wandering how your going to get the bus to cuba

Unknown said...

Hola!
Thanks for sending us off with your wonderful breakfast burritos! Your support was truly appreciated. And thanks for sharing our mission on your blog!
Not only is Kathryn an amazing Caravanista, she has been nominated as a candidate for the CNN Hero of 2010! http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cnn.heroes/archive10/index.html
Gary Erb is from Boulder and has been on 18 of the 21 Friendshipment Caravans to Cuba

Lou Mercer said...

Well, you turn right around and give that Kathryn and Gary a big hug from me!! Oh, and you can steal a little for yourself! Kathryn is probably one of the most deserving women I know and I will say a little prayer that she gets her just rewards! See you on the 29th if not before!

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...