loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Friday, June 3, 2011

I have an itchy friend and I sure do feel for him.

I had a brief email from a friend back east on Wednesday.  Seems he done got to close to the Poison Ivy and now he is not a happy camper.  I do feel for the boy!  I did not realize it was that time of the year already, but it would stand to reason that all the pollen is flying so Poison Ivy would be no different.  I am very well educated on this little aspect of life.  Many years ago when I had tiny children and lived in Garden City, Kansas, I got my first taste of that little plant.  The husband went fishing.  When he came home and showered, the devoted little wife tossed the fishing clothes in the washer.  First bout of Poison Ivy.
Usually in the Spring I drift off to Hutchinson and work in my sisters yard.  Well, we finally decided that the Southeast corner of her yard was full of that stuff.  First year was not so bad.  Second year took me to the emergency room for a round of antibotics and steroids.   But the last year was total hell.  Last time left scars. Lots of drugs on the last one.  And since it seemed to be every where on my upper torso and I could not bear to have anything touch it, all my tee shirts were releived of the neck band and sleeves and shortened.  The best part is that I never even seen the stuff.  Would have been nice to face the enemy head to head.
I have learned that Poison Ivy is one of the critters that every time you get in it, your reaction is more pronounced!  And it is much easier to get than it was the first time.  I am to the point now that I can just pick it up from a nice gentle breeze if I stand down wind from the stuff.  Kansas and Missouri is riddled with that stuff and that is where I usually travel, so I am staying home this year.  I am pretty sure my sister is rid of her little patch, so that is cool.
That being said, just let me play you a little song and then get busy on chores and such.  To my friend I would like to say....Sorry about that buddy!  And  remember that time changes everything!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dbev-k2wos

No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...