loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 7, 2011

I will make dessert, no problemo!

 

Bret had a little friend pop over last night that we had not seen in years.  So I wondered just what I could throw together for dessert and I quickly took stock and knew Cream Puffs were the answer.  Butter, water, flour, and eggs.  Milk, eggs and sugar for the filling.  No chocolate for the decoration but that was because chocolate is endangered around here with Amanda on the loose!  Oh, and I am currently waiting for the next batch of Vanilla to finish whatever it is it does in there with that Vodka!  Now I am completely out of Vanilla.
If there is one thing I like to do, it is cook.  Kind of wish I had a cooks helper to clean up after me.  That was the fun part of owning my own restaurant.  I could just make the biggest messes and Carolyn or Esther or someone would clean them up for me.  Only one rule every dishwasher has is "Never put a knife in the sink!"  Lady named Edith taught me that one and instilled in me a deep rooted fear of knives in the sink and big tall women named Edith!
You know, I look around at this mess that eBay selling makes of my house and I really miss the restaurant business.  The Red Carpet was the most fun because it was really big and classy.  Someone actually called me a "Chef" when I worked there.  The best part was the big bakery in the back.  I baked when I finished my morning shift.  Not the rolls and stuff because we had a baker for that, but fancy stuff.  I have a whole album full of beautiful wedding cakes.  That was really fun.  I loved making Roses.  It is a real joy to take a plain old cake and slather on the frosting, the flowers, garlands and leaves and end up with a four feet tall masterpiece.  My biggest challenge was a family who had brought their own cake across country , only to drop the second layer.  I managed to match the colors, design and all that so closely that no one knew!
When I had my little "Lou's Kitchen" down town it was all home cooking and the only baking was the Cinnamon rolls and Dinner rolls.  Oh, and the pies.  The lady who had the State Sales Tax job and came to see me on a regular basis loved the Cherry Pie.  Course she also loved the Pecan Pie, Chocolate and  anything that would hold still on the plate.  The biggest problem I had with her is she wore these half glasses that set on the end of her nose and she looked out over them and just made my blood run cold!  See I have this guilt complex and that woman could make me squirm like no one else.  Something about being closely scrutinized through spectacles on the end of someones nose that make me want to confess every wrong thing I had ever done and inflate my sales so I could pay more tax!
But she was a lovely lady and I enjoyed visiting with her, just that she had the power and  I knew that.  My customers were the best.  See, this little restaurant only held about 50 people and set right across the street from McDonald's.  There was a bakery on the street behind and I got all those guys three times a day since it had 3 shifts.  I really miss that place!  
But back to reality.  I got to go do the chore thing and get ready for the day.  Just know those were really good Cream Puffs and if you pop by unexpectedly, I just might make you some! 



No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...