loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Myself-Edgar Guest

I woke up this morning with this in my head.  Kept playing it over and over until I went and found it so I could print it here.  Know where  I first heard this?  They always say that a teacher can make a lot of difference in a kids life an this one sure did mine.  I was in the 7th grade and his name was Mr. Bollinger.  He also ran the movie house in Nickerson. 
I remember him  as a little round man with very thick glasses.  I was devastated when he left the school after only a few years. At least it seemed a short time to me.  He would set on the corner of the desk and for the life of me I can not remember what class he taught, but he was always quick to give us something like this to "think about".  
 





Myself 

I have to live with myself, and so,
I want to be fit for myself to know;
I want to be able as days go by,
Always to look myself straight in the eye;
I don't want to stand with the setting sun
And hate myself for the things I've done.


I don't want to keep on a closet shelf
A lot of secrets about myself,
And fool myself as I come and go
Into thinking that nobody else will know
The kind of man I really am;
I don't want to dress myself up in sham.


I want to go out with my head erect,
I want to deserve all men's respect; 
But here in this struggle for fame and pelf,
I want to be able to like myself.
I don't want to think as I come and go
That I'm bluster and bluff and empty show.


I never can hide myself from me,
I see what others may never see,
I know what others may never know,
I never can fool myself- and so,
Whatever happens, I want to be 
Self-respecting and conscience free.




No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...