loumercerwordsofwisdom.blogspot.com

Monday, March 1, 2010

Where exactly is the pink Llama?

I had Kiadan over the other day. He is 5 years old. Very impressionable age, I might add. I took him out to see the Llama's in the field by my house. He commented that they were very furry, but he did not want to get close enough to be spit on by them.  I saw a learning experience here!

I took him inside and down to the weaving room where I also have a spinning wheel  (exactly like the one in the link over there!) and raw wool. I showed him the wheel and then explained to him how it was made into spun thread after combing and that. He wanted to know what it looked like when it was done, so I showed him a cone of pink wool since that is what I had out. He was facinated!

But then he wanted to go back out and look at the Llama's some more because he wanted to see the pink one! Makes me wonder if we ever actually get kids taught all they need to know before they enter the world of video games and Mountain Dew?

Our Weavers Guild does a thing at El Pueblo Museum covers all of the process from shearing, dyeing, spinning and then weaving on little wooden looms. Kids are fascinated with this process. Want to know what else? We do the drop spindle and the boys catch on to that much quicker than the girls! Boys do a very good job. That surprised me!

No comments:

Another year down the tubes!

Counting today, there are only 5 days left in this year.    Momma nailed it when she said "When you are over the hill you pick up speed...